I went over to a friend’s house for dinner last Friday night. I barely ever drink white wine but she was serving scallops so I felt like I had to. It was a big mistake. Huge, actually. That is why last Saturday fell out of my life and I couldn’t go grocery shopping (well, because of that and the fact that it was snowing all day). So when I woke up Sunday morning I really had no idea what I was going to make for breakfast. Luckily, I had some eggs and milk in my fridge, and I also found a tin of sardines in olive oil (probably because there was nothing left there to hide behind of).
- 1 (3.75 oz) tin sardines in olive oil, slightly drained
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sweet onion, minced
- salt, freshly ground black pepper
- a dash of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- zest of half a lemon
- a generous squeeze of lemon juice
Combine the first two ingredients in a small bowl and mash with a fork. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve on toasted bread garnished with fresh cucumber slices or roasted cherry tomatoes.