I make tzatziki very often so it’s only logical that I had my eye set on raita for quite a while now. Raita is an Indian condiment made with yogurt, spices, and chopped vegetables (and sometimes fruit, too). Since Indian food is generally quite spicy, raita acts as a cooling agent. It can be served alongside bread, curry, or as a salad.
- 2 cups plain yogurt (I used low-fat)
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
- salt and freshly groun black pepper to taste
- 1 large tomato, cored and sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 small sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 jalapeno or other hot green chili, stemmed, seeded and minced
- chopped fresh cilantro
In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt until creamy. Stir in all the remaining ingredients. Cover and refirgerate for 30 minutes before serving.