- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken stock (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 box (10 oz) sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2/3 cup fat-free half and half
- salt, freshly ground black pepper
- white pepper to taste
- a dash of nutmeg
- some vegetable oil
Make roux by melting butter in a pan on medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add four, and whisk to combine. Continue to cook the flour for 5 minutes whisking constantly to prevent burning.
Gradually add chicken stock to the roux, whisking vigorously. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, add some vegetable oil to a skillet, heat, and add mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms for 10 minutes on medium heat, add salt, black pepper, white pepper, and a dash of nutmeg. Then add the cooked mushrooms into the broth.
In the same skillet, heat some oil, add carrots, and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the carrots to the soup, then add the cubed potatoes. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 more minutes.
Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a standard blender. Add the half and half, heat through, and serve with crusty bread.